Junior ISA FAQ

What is a Junior ISA?

A Junior ISA (or JISA) is a tax-free savings account set up by a parent or guardian for a child below 18 years of age. Anyone can contribute to the account, but only the child can access the money – and only after they turn 18.

For the John Lewis Investments Junior ISA, the child must be under the age of 16 for a Junior ISA to be opened.

The account holder pays no tax on interest, capital growth or dividends on any contributions up to the Junior ISA allowance. The child investment account is essentially an amended version of the adult ISA, but with a lower limit and different restrictions on withdrawals.

What types of JISA are there?

There are two types of JISA:

  • In a cash Junior ISA, you do not pay tax on interest. Although cash is guaranteed not to fall in value, annual inflation will have an adverse impact on its value.
  • In a stocks and shares Junior ISA, you pay no tax on capital growth or dividends. Investments are riskier and may mean growth is greater than a cash product. However, unlike cash, the value of a stocks and shares Junior ISA can go down, as well as up.

At John Lewis Investments, we offer a stocks and shares JISA.

Can a child have more than one JISA?

A child can have one cash JISA, one stocks and shares JISA, or both.

With John Lewis Investments, you may only open one pot per JISA, but a parent or a guardian may open multiple JISAs, albeit only if they relate to different children.

What is the JISA limit?

For the current tax year, the annual tax allowance or limit for a JISA is £9,000. For any contributions over and above the limit, the excess is held in a ‘feeder’ savings account in trust for the child until the next tax year and is then automatically to the new tax year’s JISA. Note, the money cannot be returned to whoever contributes.

Your JISA allowance resets at the start of each tax year. The tax year ends on 5th April and your allowance, or any unused portion of it, doesn’t carry over to the next tax year.

Tax treatments depend on your individual circumstances and may change in the future.

Who can open a Junior ISA?

Unless you are a crown servant abroad, only a parent or legal guardian residing in the UK can open a JISA on behalf of their child.

The parent or guardian who opens the JISA is responsible for managing the account and is known as the ‘registered contact’. In all cases, the person who applies for the JISA will become the first registered contact. To open a John Lewis Investments JISA, the registered contact must contribute a minimum of £100.

Only the ‘registered contact’ can manage the account, and there can only ever be one registered contact at any given time. The child can apply to become the registered contact at 16, whereas anyone else must be at least 18 years of age.

The registered contact is the only person who can:

  • change the account, e.g. change from cash to stocks and shares or adjust risk levels
  • change the account provider
  • report changes of circumstances, e.g. change of address

For a John Lewis Investments Junior ISA, anyone, including parents, friends and family, can contribute on behalf of the child, provided total contributions don't exceed the JISA limit.

Those who live outside of the UK can only become a registered contact if they are a crown servant (in the UK’s armed forces, diplomatic service or overseas civil service) and the child depends on them for care. Both criteria must apply.

The role of registered contact can be passed to another person with parental responsibility. However, registered contact status can usually only be given on agreement with the existing registered contact.

There are exceptions where the prior consent of the existing contact is not needed:

  • If the child chooses to become the registered contact between the ages of 16 and 18. Once done, the status cannot be passed to another person
  • If the registered contact dies, cannot be contacted or is incapacitated, the person who assumes parental responsibility for the child must apply to become the registered contact. To do so they must have a John Lewis Investments account. Note that the account doesn’t need to be funded.
  • If a Court order means the existing registered contact is no longer the person with parental responsibility for the child
  • If a Court appoints a Guardian or a Special Guardian of the child
  • If a Court orders that the existing registered contact ceases to be so
  • If the new registered contact has adopted the child under an adoption order

Who owns the money in a JISA?

The money in a JISA belongs to the child in all but exceptional circumstances.

For cash Junior ISAs, when the child turns 16 they may apply to become the registered contact and manage the JISA themselves. However, they cannot withdraw the money until they're 18. 

For John Lewis Investments stocks and shares JISAs, the child cannot become the registered contact until they turn 18. 

Who can contribute to a JISA?

Anyone, including parents, friends and family, can contribute on behalf of the child, provided total contributions don't exceed the JISA limit.

Does contributing to a JISA impact your annual ISA allowance?

Any contributions to a JISA are not factored into your annual ISA allowance.

Can you transfer a JISA?

A registered contact may transfer either a JISA or Child Trust Fund from another provider to John Lewis Investments. Partial CTF or JISA transfers are not allowed.

When can the child access the money?

The money in a Junior ISA belongs to the child and cannot be accessed until they turn 18. At this point, the child can decide if they wish to withdraw or leave the money where it is and have it roll into an adult ISA or a combination. 

Can you have a JISA and a Child Trust Fund?

You cannot have a JISA as well as a Child Trust Fund (CTF). If you want to open a JISA you must transfer the CTF in.

A Child Trust Fund is a long-term tax-free savings account for children. The CTF scheme is now closed, so you cannot apply for a new one. But people with existing CTFs can continue to contribute £9,000 a year into them.

What happens to a JISA if the child dies?

If your child is terminally ill, you can apply to HMRC to release the funds in the JISA.

If your child dies, any money in the JISA will be paid to whoever inherits their estate.

The information to be supplied is described in more detail by HMRC.

As with all investing, your capital is at risk. The value of your Junior ISA can go down as well as up and you may get back less than you invest. To open a John Lewis Investments Junior ISA, your child must be under the age of 16 and funds cannot be withdrawn until your child turns 18. Tax treatments apply and may be subject to change in the future. If you are unsure if a Junior ISA is the right choice for you and your child, please seek financial advice. 

Back to top